Searching for secrets

a place to discuss theories or any other general topics related to the Strangers project.

Searching for secrets

Postby Morfean » November 15th, 2016, 8:23 am

I thought this might be a fun topic, though I'd caution some folks about spoilers, if you're the sort who likes to discover things for themselves!

The various modules all have little easter eggs scattered around, and I've always thought a community effort in finding them could be fun. I'll start us off! If you hover your cursor over the main image of a Stranger, a text box will show up with a sort of 'scientific name'! (May be browser-dependent; I use Chrome)

FK + J have done some wonderful work on these modules. There's so much hidden intricacy. That or I have a serious case of Apophenia.

:class_supervisor: :class_widower:
:class_operative: we'd yearned for counterfeits
Morfean

Re: Searching for secrets

Postby Nove Nu-Vonde » November 15th, 2016, 11:31 am

I have always loved finding secrets in Strangers. More often than not they are very intriguing and rewarding to find, though even the small, more trivial ones are always fun to find, like a lucky penny on the ground. Interesting you bring up the scientific names, as that is where I got my username (nove nu-vonde is the "alt name" for the norodrole, and I fell in love with how phonetically pleasing it was).

I think it's worth mentioning all the neat stuff you can find when you open pages in a new tab. Not a huge secret as it is relatively easy to do, but if you are like me and never considered that you could open entries in a new tab it's an interesting and nice surprise. In fact, doing so in Dead Cities even reveals a hidden narrative, and in matatown it will reveal the matadrolis' names to you. It's not just Stranger entries you can open in new tabs, though, I've found out, and just about any link can be opened to find a unique page, for example, the eye in the top left corner of the Primer module that leads to the title page, the Dead Cities appendix, and practically anything else you can click. Links are everywhere so even though I've tested most of them I'm sure there are some I've missed, so if you're curious just go around opening all the links in new tabs and see what pops up. Certainly not anything mind blowing, but interesting for people like me who didn't realize.

More cryptically are what I can only describe as "grey links." So far I have only found four, and one appears to have dissapeared, bringing that down to three. These grey colored links are scattered about various entries, and lead to secret "bonus" pages. They are put right in the middle of the entries, and their color is only slightly lighter than the normal black text, so they are incredibly easy to miss even after several readings. So far the only ones I have found are in the Primer, in the entries for the condroni, lindroni, and lume, though their nature of hiding in plain sight means it is very easy and plausible that there are more I have missed. There was also one in the old version of the Minuet on the "i" that led to a picture of Felix and J titled "us," though it seems this link has since been removed after the update. For those who'd like to find the other three on their own, be aware I'm about to spoil their locations and contents~

---

In the condroni's entry, its behavior is described as "intelligent and omnipotent." On the word omnipotent is a link leading to a short story/poem called the nāive's end. An interesting read, definitely my favorite of the grey links.

In the lindroni's entry, in the sentence, "While its victim is under the influence of this nectar..." the phrase 'influence of this nectar' is highlighted, and leads to a page with a fleur-de-lis in the title and a poem of the the same name.

The last one I know of is in the lume's entry, in the sentence "...and destruction of the second head causes it no harm." The word harm is highlighted, though is somewhat unique in that it doesn't lead to a poem, but instead a picture of the lume with the caption "i am lost" Cool if you are into alternate art of strangers like I am.

---

Spoilers over. Again, although these were the only ones I could find, this is in no way a comprehensive list, and I would love to see if anyone has found any grey links of their own.

On an end note, this is very minor, but if you are into the nitty gritty details like I am, I like to open individual images in new tabs and see what their names are, like the small xoridromel icon on the main page which is called "be-positive."
!!
Nove Nu-Vonde

Postby Morfean » November 15th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Nove Nu-Vonde wrote:The last one I know of is in the lume's entry, in the sentence "...and destruction of the second head causes it no harm." The word harm is highlighted, though is somewhat unique in that it doesn't lead to a poem, but instead a picture of the lume with the caption "i am lost" Cool if you are into alternate art of strangers like I am.

[ ! M O R E S P O I L E R S ! ]
Ah, goodness! And here I thought I was clever in including 'supervisor' and 'widower' icons as a clue in my last post. Seems someone found the grey links as well! Nice job, and I even missed the Lume's entirely. Looking at this new page... erm, Felix? Is that you? Do you need some help? D:

Out of curiosity, what page was the fourth disappeared link attached to?
Morfean

Postby Nove Nu-Vonde » November 15th, 2016, 12:27 pm

It was the i in the title of the Minuet, and it led to a small picture of Felix and J done in the simplistic style of the Minuet. Ever since the update, however, no such link seems to exist anymore. Curiously, there does not even seem to be a link back to the main site, which all other modules have as far as I know, though I imagine this is an oversight at most.
!!
Nove Nu-Vonde

Postby Barls_Gnarkley » November 15th, 2016, 12:37 pm

There's an entire nother section of Matatown hidden in a link in some blocky, Red Module-like "text". There's also a "grey" (blue in this case) link on Holodrue's page, which leads to a short poem.

This isn't a "secret" per se, but at some point the format of Minuet was changed, and the disposition flavor texts ("These were the ones who...") from Primer have been fully revealed.
Barls_Gnarkley

Postby OutlanderS3S » November 15th, 2016, 12:39 pm

If you open the little Xoridromel image in a separate tab (in the main page), it will give you a nice message. Won't tell you what the filename says because spoilers.
:class_falsifier: My bestiary project: http://iseeborderlings.com
OutlanderS3S

Postby THESXVRS » November 15th, 2016, 6:59 pm

In Matatown there is text at the top and bottom the the screen (also in the secret "red module" entries), but it is hidden by the image that appears. :class_primitive:
:class_imitator: THEFST
:class_primitive: THESND
:class_companion: THETRD
:class_: THEFRTH
:class_regulator: THEFTH
:class_fluid: THESTH
THESXVRS

Postby OutlanderS3S » November 17th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Clicking on both eyes in the upper-left corner of Module II and Radials will give you the same message, 'on and on'.

Knowing this thread exists encourages me to find these little hidden messages and other Easter eggs. :class_companion:
OutlanderS3S

Postby Morfean » November 18th, 2016, 6:51 pm

I'm glad this thread is getting so much attention from our little community. I thought I'd return with a finding I'd discovered some time ago, but which I didn't consider properly supported until the release of the GOURANDERI.

I first heard note of this on the Strangers TV tropes entry, where it was mentioned that individual Strangers were related to each other by number. This went mostly unconsidered until I read the entry on the KUNEODRESS, where it says...
When directly tracked and pursued, the kuneodress leads sensitives into the territories of the larger strains (particularly strains whose numbers are multiples of three or eight).

When I looked into this closely, I realized that strangers with numbers factoring 3 are generally choleric or predatory, and strangers of numbers factoring 8 are all Widower-class up until the SORRIDRONEL. The defining confirmation of this is the GOURANDERI (number 081), which is what I would tentatively refer to as a SLOVENDRI (or 009) squared.

Neat stuff, really! Might be the sort of thing to make one re-evaluate things taken for granted, like numbered entries in a bestiary.
Morfean

Postby OutlanderS3S » November 22nd, 2016, 12:48 pm

Here's another secret I found. If you look up a name of a Stranger on Google, it will give you what I call a 'nickname'. To me, this name only appears if you search the name of the Stranger on a search engine. If you right-click on the image on its entry, it won't appear.
Take, for example, the Chevradrole. I searched the name on Google and clicked on the official art of it (should be the first picture). The name of the picture will be 'tiremarks)'.

There are other interesting nicknames too, and they appear to be like small messages. The Simdroni's image nickname is 'silence could be something)'.
OutlanderS3S

Next

Return to theories/discussion